Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sopa de Legumes

In a previous life I journeyed to Portugal with Micah the Travel Gal and enjoyed all kinds of flavors that were new to me. I especially liked a soup that is common throughout the region and has kind of a peasant-food feel to it. (For some reason I am fascinated with what it would be like to live as a peasant girl.) With fresh-from-the-bakery Portuguese rolls this simple meal is so satisfying, especially for someone like me who now has to imagine travel to foreign lands.  Micah obtained this recipe from a Portuguese friend who had to estimate quantities, but it always seems to turn out right.

1 litre water
1 1/2 bowls potatoes
1 bowl carrots
1 bowl onions
4-5 garlic cloves
1/2 head cabbage
 +/- 1/4 c olive oil
couple squares chicken bouillon (see Disclaimer, or use vegetable broth)

Cut up veggies and add to water (boiling), olive oil and bouillon.  Cook until veggies are really soft.  Puree.  Eat with bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment