Friday, October 21, 2011

Nut Butter-Cinnamon-Raisin Granola

From The Low-Cholesterol Oat Plan by Barbara Earnest and Sarah Schlesinger.

This granola is soooo yummy, it's like eating cookies for breakfast. I always add in a chopped apple and use almonds rather than peanuts, but I really don't think you can go wrong with this one.  Every time I make a batch of this stuff I have to divide it equally into two separate containers so my husband and I are sure to get even shares.

2/3 c unhydrogenated peanut butter or almond butter
2/3 c honey
1/2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla extract
3 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1 c oat bran
1 c raisins
1 c unsalted peanuts

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine peanut butter, honey, and cinnamon in a saucepan over low heat and stir until they are all liquified. Stir in vanilla.

Combine all remaining ingredients and stir in the peanut/honey mixture, coating evenly.

Spread granola onto a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.  (Then the recipe says to leave the pan in the turned-off oven for 1 1/2 hours.  I never do this because I like mine soft.  If you prefer crunchy granola then follow this step.)

Keep refrigerated in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment